Friday, July 23, 2010

NST

With this high risk pregnancy due to prednisone, massive weightloss, low blood pressure, chronic severe hyper emesis, diabetes and all the other stuff, I "get" to go to the doctors 3 times a week. Once to meet with the doc, 2 times for NST's. NST's are non stress tests done by ultrasound. For an hour, they make sure the baby's heart rate is rhythmic and that she responds to sudden changes (I drink a glass of juice - must be sugar free thanks to gest. diab.). They check her movement and her overall health in the womb. If something goes awry (she doesn't respond, they can't wake her up), then I head to the hospital. So far, we are good. NST's are done for women that also have preeclampsia, heart malfunctions, fetuses with a congenial disorder etc. It is nice to be able to hear the heartbeat, just a pain that it takes so long and is so often. Next time I go, I'm going to record the heartbeat. Why not? Ringtone for cell phone?

No comments: